HC Deb 08 January 2004 vol 416 c479W
Bob Russell

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what procedures are available to residents of shire boroughs and districts to request a referendum on a major local issue. [146571]

Mr. Raynsford

Residents may make representations to their local authority about holding referendums on any matter, including finance, which relates to the services for which the local authority is responsible, or to its power to promote the well-being of its area. The decision on whether to hold the referendum is for the local authority.