HC Deb 24 February 2004 vol 418 c401W
Charles Hendry

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what arrangements are made for the continuation of social services support for a young person who has been refused a home by his or her family and has not been made ward of court, once he or she becomes 16 years old. [155640]

Margaret Hodge

Local authority social service departments have a range of powers and duties under the Children Act 1989 to provide services for children in need in their area.

A general duty is placed on local authorities by section 17 of the Children Act 1989 to safeguard and promote the welfare of children in their area who are in need by providing a range of services appropriate to those needs. The definition of a child in need is set out in section 17(10) of the Act, which applies to all children, regardless of whether or not they reside with their family.

There is also a duty under section 20 of the Children Act to provided accommodation for children in need if necessary.

Forward to