HC Deb 11 February 2004 vol 417 c1456W
Mrs. Lait

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what measures are in place to ensure that the owners of untaxed illegal foreign cars are traced and brought into the United Kingdom car tax regime; and if he will make a statement. [153431]

Mr. Jamieson

A vehicle which is registered and taxed in its home country may be used by a visitor to Great Britain for up to six months in 12 without being subject to domestic requirements. To qualify for this exemption the visitor must have their normal residence outside GB.

If at any time a vehicle being used in Great Britain on foreign plates is stopped by the police, it is the responsibility of the keeper to demonstrate that they are eligible to use the vehicle without licensing and registering it here. If they are not eligible, enforcement action will be taken.

Forward to