§ Margaret Hodge
Children's centres provide an opportunity for the enhancement and reshaping of health services for families with young children in the most disadvantaged areas of England. Services will vary according to local need but all children's centres must provide access to child and family health services. These services will include:
- ante-natal advice and support for parents;
- information and guidance on breast feeding, hygiene, nutrition and safety;
- identification, support and care for those suffering from maternal depression, ante-natally and post-natally;
- speech and language and other specialist support; and
- smoking cessation interventions.
Health professionals will work with other Early Years professionals in education, family support and child care to ensure children's needs are met in an integrated way.