HC Deb 20 April 2004 vol 420 cc428-9W
Mr. Streeter

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what obligations Plymouth City Council has to consult the public over variations to public rights of way; and whether her Department monitors the exercise of such powers. [165911]

Alun Michael

When making changes to a right of way, a local highway authority must, in most cases, (a) serve a notice of the relevant order on every owner, occupier and lessee of any land affected by the order, (b) publish the notice in at least one, local newspaper and (c) notify all statutory consultees. The notice must also be displayed at the ends of the right of way affected by the order. Defra does not monitor the exercise of these duties, but councils are well aware that an order can be challenged if a local highway authority has failed to give correct notice and that it is in their interests to follow the correct procedures.