HC Deb 19 April 2004 vol 420 cc367-8W
Mr. Todd

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what his policy is on the granting by parish councils of(a) honoraria and (b) ex-gratia payments to special constables serving their area. [165467]

Phil Hope

Parish Councils are responsible for their actions and decisions to their electorate and to the auditor. Special constables may be paid allowances by a police authority only as determined by the special constables regulations. Any proposals to offer honoraria or ex-gratia payments to special constables would require approval by the Home Secretary under The Special Constables (Amendment) Regulations 2002.