HC Deb 16 September 2003 vol 410 c660W
Mrs. Curtis-Thomas

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department under what Act of Parliament anti-social drinking orders are made; and how such orders will be enforced. [128652]

Ms Blears

I believe my hon. Friend is interested in alcohol restricted zones.

Section 13 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 allows local authorities to introduce designation orders to restrict anti-social public drinking in areas that have experienced alcohol-related disorder or nuisance. The arrangements introduced by the Act replaced a previous Home Office public drinking bylaw.

The police have responsibility for enforcing such designation orders through their discretionary powers to confiscate alcohol if they reasonably believe that a person is, or has been, consuming alcohol in a designated public place. The discretionary powers are set out in section 12 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001.