HC Deb 27 March 2003 vol 402 cc362-3W
Nick Harvey

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (1) what work her Department is undertaking to monitor and act against noise pollution from public houses; [105041]

(2) if she will list those organisations and individuals contracted to undertake research and analysis of noise pollution from public houses on her behalf; and when those contracts were agreed. [105042]

Dr. Howells

DCMS does not monitor noise from public houses and has not contracted any organisations or individuals to undertake research and analysis of noise pollution from public houses. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is the lead Department for policy relating to the control of noise pollution and nuisance and my right hon. Friend the Minister for Rural Affairs and Urban Quality of Life answered questions on this subject on 13 January 2003,Official Report, column 375W, and 20 January 2003, Official Report, column 104–5W.

The Licensing Bill currently before the House of Commons will allow licensing authorities to attach conditions to premises licences and club premises certificates if they are necessary to address noise nuisance. Local residents and others will be able to make representations about applications for licences and certificates which they believe will lead to noise problems and to request reviews of licences and certificates where noise problems exist.