HC Deb 17 March 2003 vol 401 c553W
Mr. Wray

To ask the Secretary of State for Health pursuant to the answer of 3 March 2003,Official Report. column 823W, on asylum seekers, what measures are in place to ensure that unaccompanied child asylum seekers receive care and support from council social services under the Children Act 1989. [103400]

Jacqui Smith

When an unaccompanied child arrives at an English port or airport the im migration service will refer him/her immediately to the relevant local authority social services department, which will be responsible for providing him/her with support under the Children Act 1989. Unaccompanied children can also claim asylum in-country. In such cases, they will either already have presented to a social services department as a child in need, or will be referred on by the immigration service.

Back to