HC Deb 12 March 2003 vol 401 cc326-7W
Mr. Burstow

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what assessment he has made of the effect of rent restructuring on tenants' rents in social and supported housing in inner city wards, where there has been high house price inflation. [97671]

Mr. McNulty

The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister does not collect social housing rents data at ward level. Therefore no such assessment has been made. However, at a national average level, local authority and housing association rents are expected to go up over the 10 year rent restructuring period much more slowly than over the preceding 10 years. 30 per cent. of the Government's national rents formula is based on January 1999 relative property values, with the remaining 70 per cent. taking account of local earnings for affordability. The formula rent is therefore not affected by house price inflation since January 1999. In addition, absolute caps on formula rents, and limits on individual rent rises were introduced in autumn 2001 to address the concerns that formula rents would otherwise cause affordability problems for a small number of tenants. The housing benefit system forms an additional safeguard for those on the lowest incomes.

Ms Oona King

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister how many properties were built with funding from local authority social housing grant (LASHG) in each Government office region in each year since 1996–97; how many new properties were built with LASHG funding in each local authority in London in each year since 1996–97; and what each London local authority spent on LASHG in each year since 1996–97. [102320]

Mr. McNulty

Information about properties built with funding from Local Authority Social Housing Grant since 1996–97 by region and in each local authority in London is being collated. I will write to the hon. Member and place a copy of the letter in the Library of the House.