HC Deb 25 June 2003 vol 407 c805W
Mr. Hunter

To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what assessment the Government have made of the difference in pay rates between(a) British IT specialists and (b) Asian IT specialists who are working in the United Kingdom. [120301]

Mr. Sutcliffe

The Government have made no such assessment. The UK's work permit arrangements require that the pay and other conditions of employment that apply to an overseas worker coming to work in the UK should be at least equal to those normally given to a 'resident worker' doing similar work. The host employer must also ensure that the employment terms meet all UK legislation. The employer will be expected to operate PAYE and class 1 national insurance contributions.

Back to