HC Deb 10 July 2003 vol 408 c906W
Mr. Pickthall

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what responsibilities her Department undertakes in connection with British Overseas Territories. [123901]

Mr. Bradshaw

The Overseas Territories Department in Foreign and Commonwealth Office is the lead Department for the Overseas Territories (OTs), but the Department works closely with other Departments, especially the FCO, to ensure that the interests of OTs are appropriately integrated into the UK position, for example, when negotiating Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and in making arrangements for UK ratification of MEAs. Defra will also provide advice on best practice when requested by local OT governments.