HC Deb 15 December 2003 vol 415 cc665-6W
Mr. Steinberg:

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what the limit of parental income would be beyond which students would receive no financial assistance under the Government's proposals for higher education funding. [142999]

Alan Johnson:

All students, regardless of their family income, will be eligible for some financial assistance under the Government's proposals. The non-means tested element (75 per cent.) of the maintenance loan will continue to be available to all students, while the remaining 25 per cent. will be linked to family income. We do not intend to means-test loans for fees, which are to be introduced from 2006–07. Additional support will. as now, be available on a means-tested basis in the form of tuition fee remission and, from 2004–05, a new higher education grant will be introduced for those from poorer backgrounds. This financial assistance is in addition to existing targeted support for specific groups such as disabled students or student parents.

Back to