HC Deb 03 April 2003 vol 402 c847W
Dr. Fox

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what procedures NHS hospital trusts follow to ensure the safety and reliability of the test-tube baby procedure. [106850]

Ms Blears

National health service trusts, and all other units providing in vitro fertilisation, must be licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) and take account of the provisions of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 as well as the HFEA's code of practice and other guidance issued by the HFEA. The HFEA inspects all clinics regularly to make sure the requirements are being met.