HC Deb 01 April 2003 vol 402 c672W
Annette Brooke

To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department whether there is a formal process of consultation with the legal guardians of minors who have compensation payments held by the Court of Protection(a) immediately after a judgement has been made and (b) at any other stage. [105439]

Ms Rosie Winterton

The Court of Protection will only become involved in cases where the minor is also a patient, and the award is at least £20,000. In cases where the Court of Protection is involved, it will appoint a receiver. In the case of a large award the Master of the Court will normally meet the parents/receivers to discuss a monthly budget, any capital which needs to be set aside (e.g. for purchasing property, a car, or special equipment), and the investment of the remainder. The Court will approve an investment strategy. Where the award is large enough to warrant a segregated portfolio, the parent (or receiver in cases where the receiver, is not one of the parents) is given the opportunity to agree the investment broker's proposals for implementing the Court's investment strategy. If the parent/receiver wishes to change the investment strategy, he or she needs to satisfy the Court that the change would be in the child's best interests.