HC Deb 07 November 2002 vol 392 c843W
Bob Spink

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what plans he has to give further powers to the police to confiscate unopened bottles and cans of alcoholic drinks from youths gathered in public places. [78595]

Mr. Denham

Existing police powers to confiscate alcohol from under-age drinkers in public places are provided by the Confiscation of Alcohol (Young Persons) Act 1997, as amended by section 29 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001.

We are considering representations from the police and others about these powers, and in particular the restriction to confiscating alcohol in sealed containers. We will introduce any changes in the law that may be necessary as soon as parliamentary time allows.