§ Mr. Burns
To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) how many(a) nurse, (b) doctor and (c) consultant vacancies there were at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford at the latest available date; 
(2) how many (a) nurse, (b) doctor and (c) consultant vacancies there were in the Mid-Essex Hospital Trust at the latest available date. 
§ Mr. Hutton
The information requested is shown in the table. Vacancy information is not collected for specific hospitals, therefore vacancy information is shown for Mid Essex Hospital Trust.
Department of Health Vacancies Survey, March 2002 (Vacancies in Mid Essex Hospital Services Trust, doctors, nurses and consultants Staff in post Three month vacancy rate % Number of three month vacancies Whole time equivalent Headcount All medical and dental staff 3.1 0 110 160 All consultants 3.4 0 90 100 All other doctors and dentists 2.4 0 20 70 All nurses 1.6 20 1,290 1,720 All qualified nurses 2.2 20 880 1,170
- 1. Three month vacancy information is as at 31 March 2002.
- 2. Three month vacancies are vacancies which trusts are actively trying to fill, which had lasted for three months or more (whole time equivalents).
- 3. Three month vacancy rates are three month vacancies expressed as a percentage of three month vacancies plus staff in post.
- 4. Three month vacancy rates are calculated using staff in post from the Vacancy Survey and the Consultant Census, March 2002.
- 5. Staff in post data are from the Non-Medical Workforce Census, September 2001 and the Mini Consultant Census, March 2002.
- 6. Medical and dental figures exclude staff in training.
- 7. Percentages are rounded to one decimal place.
- 8. Vacancy and staff in post numbers are rounded to the nearest 10.
- 9. Due to rounding, calculating the vacancy rates using the above data may not equal the actual vacancy rates.
- 10. Figures may not match previously published data due to a different method of rounding used on the staff in post data.
- Vacancy Numbers and Rates: Department of Health Vacancies Survey March 2002 and Consultant census March 2002.
- Non Medical Staff in Post: Department of Health Non-Medical Workforce census September 2001.
- Medical and Dental Staff in Post: Department of Health Consultant census March 2002.