HC Deb 21 May 2002 vol 386 cc221-2W
Mrs. May

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions what right of access members of the public have to information on(a) building control, (b) environmental health, (c) drainage and (d) highways from local authorities; and if he will make a statement. [57705]

Mr. Byers

[holding answer 20 May 2002]: The Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 and the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Access to Information) Regulations 2000, gives the public significant general rights of access to local authority meetings and related papers.

There are also certain service specific rights, including for (a)building control the right under the Town and County Planning Act 1990 to inspect an authority's planning register; (b)environmental health the right for the public, under the Environmental Regulations 1992, to have access to environmental information held by a local authority; (c)drainage a right pursuant the Water Industry Act 1991, for the public to inspect drainage maps held in local authority offices; and for (d)highways the right for the public, under the Highways Act 1980, to inspect a list of highways in the area which are maintainable at the public expense, and under the New Road and Street Works Act 1991, a register of street works executed or proposed to be executed in the streets in the area.