HC Deb 09 May 2002 vol 385 cc332-3W
Mr. McNamara

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his answer of 18 April 2002,Official Report, column 1155W, on the UN Convention on Rights of the Child, what measures are in place to inform (a) adult asylum seekers with children and (b) unaccompanied child asylum seekers about the United Nations Convention on Rights of the Child. [54110]

Angela Eagle

[holding answer 7 May 2002]: Asylum seekers are able to access legal advice to assist them with their applications and this should include information about their rights under international conventions. All unaccompanied minors who apply for asylum are referred to the Refugee Council's Panel of Advisers, a non-statutory body which acts as adviser to the child in his or her dealings with the Home Office and other agencies for the duration of the asylum claim.