HC Deb 04 March 2002 vol 381 cc99-100W
Ms Walley

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions what assistance is given to people who require help to contest planning application decisions. [39485]

Ms Keeble

An applicant may appeal against refusal of planning permission by a local planning authority, against the imposition of conditions, or against non determination of a planning application by a local planning authority. The Planning Inspectorate provide advice on making and taking part in planning appeals.

Third parties who object to the grant of planning permission may make an application to the courts for judicial review of the local authority's decision. Public funding is available for legal representation in judicial review proceedings on certain terms and advice should be sought from a legal aid solicitor.

Our Planning Green Paper puts forward a range of proposals designed to improve community participation in the planning system. This includes strengthening the existing opportunities for people to comment on and influence development proposals early in the process before formal planning applications are submitted. In order to help people engage more effectively in the planning process we are working with the Royal Town Planning Institute on ways in which the service provided by Planning Aid can be expanded and better funded.

Back to