HC Deb 25 June 2002 vol 387 c857W
Mr. Vaz

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many nurses from overseas were working in United Kingdom hospitals in 2001. [63474]

Mr. Hutton

The information requested is not collected centrally.

In order to practice as a nurse overseas applicants must register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), formerly the United Kingdom Central Council for Nursing Midwifery and Health Visiting. Overseas nurses registered with the NMC do not necessarily work in the national health service. The number of entrants to the register in the last three years are in the table.

Overseas trained nurses and midwives registering with the UKCC.

1998–99 1999–2000 2000–01
Overseas nurses registered with the UKCC 3,621 5,945 8,403