§ Derek Conway
The major projects currently in progress are:
- Norman Shaw South
- Victoria Tower archive storage
- Replacement of main Palace boilers and chillers.
The major maintenance and refurbishment projects due to start within the next six months are:
- Refurbishment of Committee Rooms 7, 8 and 9
- Commons Court and Commons Inner Court stone restoration
- Ladies' Gallery lift overhaul
- Stone restoration and security near base of Clock Tower
- Removal of huts and restoration of Speaker's Green
- Removal of roof-top huts in Cloister Court
- Basement plant room modernisation
- Asbestos removal
- Encaustic tile replacement, St. Stephen's Hall
- New Palace Yard and Black Rod's Garden security works
- Fire precautions and PDVN
- Hansard office reorganisation.
In addition, the following major projects are due to start within the next six months in the House of Lords:
- Old Palace Yard phase 3
- Asphalt roof near Chancellor's Court
- Moses Room roof and ceiling.
In 2000 a clause was added to the General Specification used for parliamentary projects requiring certification that timber is supplied from sustainably managed sources. For contracts written before that, certification is nevertheless sought from the contractors.