§ Andrew Bennett
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department (1) when the research on burial space and the state of cemeteries will be published; and what follow-up action will be taken; 
(2) if he will make a statement on the work of the Burial and Cemeteries Advisory Group; who is on it; what its terms of reference are; how many times it has met; when it will next meet; what it has discussed; what it has done; and when it will have completed its work; 
(3) when the Government will publish the public consultation on burial legislation. 
§ Hilary Benn
Details of the membership of the Burial and Cemeteries Advisory Group are listed. The Group has met three times, and has the following terms of referenceTo provide good practice advice on the provision, management, and maintenance of burial grounds; andTo produce advice on good burial practice and procedures, and to make recommendations for any appropriate policy and legislative change.
The agreed minutes of the Group's meetings will be published, and I will arrange for copies to be sent to the hon. Member. Consultation on burial legislation and related matters depends on approval of a draft document to be considered at the next meeting at the end of September. The Group is committed to reporting progress to Ministers by December 2002.
The research work was completed earlier this year. The report will be published shortly following peer review, and its findings will be used to inform further work. In addition, planning for the survey of burial grounds is well advanced, with a pilot exercise expected later this summer.
- Burial and Cemeteries Advisory Group Membership
- Association of Burial Authorities
- Association of Private Crematoria and Cemeteries
- Board of Deputies of British Jews
- Cemetery Research Group, University of York
- Churches Funerals Group
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Confederation of Burial Authorities
- Council for the Care of Churches
- Cremation Society of Great Britain
- Cruse Bereavement Care
- Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport English Heritage
- English Nature
- Federation of British Cremation Authorities Health and Safety Executive
- Home Office
- Institute of Burial and Cremation Administration
- Local Government Association
- Muslim Council of Great Britain
- National Assembly for Wales
- National Association of Local Councils National Association of Memorial Masons National Federation of Cemetery Friends Society of Local Council Clerks
- Welsh Local Government Association.