HC Deb 13 June 2002 vol 386 cc1417-8W
Mr. Laws

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what action he is taking permanently to refuse entry to the United Kingdom to individuals apprehended for attempting to bring illegal drugs into the United Kingdom; and if he will make a statement. [56532]

Beverley Hughes

[holding answer 21 May 2002]There are provisions within the Immigration Rules that allow for the refusal of leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom (UK) of a person who is not a British citizen and who has been convicted of a serious crime, or whose presence here is undesirable. There is also scope for a court to recommend deportation at the end of their sentence of a person when they are convicted in the UK. Any person who is deported from the UK following a conviction for importing illegal drugs would not normally be allowed to return here for a minimum of 10 years.