§ Jane Kennedy
The information requested is as follows:
Newspapers Number of copies per week Monday to Saturday Belfast Telegraph 373 Daily Express 62 Daily Mail 101 Daily Mirror 68 Daily Record 5 Daily Star 45 Daily Telegraph 106 Evening Standard 11 Financial Times 53 Guardian 101 Independent 96 Irish Independent 71 Irish News 213 Irish Star 5 Irish Times 164
- (a) the introduction of a new statutory scheme;
- (b) the establishment of a tariff of injuries to calculate the standard amount of compensation;
- (c) in certain cases payment for loss of earnings and special expenses;
- (d) the introduction of a new bereavement support payment;
- (e) provision for review of decisions;
- (f) the establishment of an independent appeals panel to hear appeals against decisions of the Secretary of State;
- (g) the introduction of funded support and assistance from a designated body to replace paid legal assistance.
CostsIt is anticipated that the proposed scheme will he capable of delivering fair compensation without incurring any additional costs to the Exchequer. It is likely that savings will accrue in the longer term, but, for the initial five years, additional funds for the compensation budget will be necessary while claims are settled under both the new and existing schemes. There are no costs to businesses and individuals.