HL Deb 11 June 2002 vol 636 c17WA
Lord Pearson of Rannoch

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What is the legal status of the European Union flag; and whether in order to fly it on public or other buildings it is necessary to have a local authority licence or other authority. [HL4326]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Baroness Amos)

The flying of the EU flag in the UK is controlled under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992 and for this purpose the flag is classified as an "outdoor advertisement".

Government buildings benefit from Crown immunity. In order to fly the EU flag from other buildings the express consent of the local planning authority is required.