HC Deb 10 July 2002 vol 388 cc973-4W
Mr. Hayes

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how many collisions have taken place between EUflagged fishing vessels and local vessels where the former is operated under third-party waters access agreements in the last five years; what analysis has been made of the effects of those agreements on the mortality rates of local fishermen; and if he will make a statement. [68336]

Mr. Jamieson

There is no requirement for a EU-flagged fishing vessel operating under third country agreements to notify the UK when it is involved in a collision. UK registered fishing vessels are required to report accidents to the Maritime Accident Investigation Branch. The reports do not require information on whether the vessel is operating under third country agreements. We therefore do not have these figures.

Forward to