HC Deb 09 July 2002 vol 388 c843W
Vernon Coaker

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs when the Government plans to implement powers in the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 which will allow local authorities to divert or close rights of way for the purpose of crime prevention; which areas the provision will apply to: if she will make a statement. [668311

Alun Michael

I have published proposals to implement the provisions in 'Crime Prevention on Rights of Way: Public Consultation paper on the Designation of Areas and Other Procedural Matters'. This was published on 19 June and a copy placed in the Library of the House. Once the arrangements are in place it will be for the appropriate authorities to apply for designation. Normally the application will be made by the highway authority for a ward area or areas, but I have proposed some flexibility in my proposals. I am arranging for a copy to be forwarded to my right hon. Friend.

Forward to