HC Deb 08 July 2002 vol 388 c678W
Mr. Don Foster

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what statutory obligations are in force for inspection of health and safety standards in(a) residential homes, (b) boarding schools and (c) university halls of residence; and if he will make a statement. [66653]

Mr. Jamieson

I have been asked to reply.

The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA) applies to residential homes, boarding schools and university halls of residence. HSWA sets out general health and safety duties which employers, the self-employed and people in control of premises have towards their employees, and others who could be affected by the work activities. It is the 'umbrella' legislation under which other, more specific, health and safety regulations are made. The Health and Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998 allocate inspection responsibility for different types of undertakings to either the Health and Safety Executive or to the Local Authority. Inspectors are appointed under Section 19 of HSWA to carry out inspection and enforcement in relation to health and safety.

Forward to