HC Deb 16 January 2002 vol 378 cc363-4W
Mr. David Atkinson

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will introduce legislation to prevent occupation of public parks, sports grounds and open spaces by travellers, and for their immediate eviction. [25917]

Mr. Denham

Legislation is already in place, under section 70 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, which allows a council, on application from police and with the consent of the Secretary of State for the Home Department, to impose a banning order preventing trespassory assemblies on land to which the public have no, or limited access.

Under section 61 and section 77 of the same Act police and local authorities have discretionary powers to evict travellers from land when the appropriate statutory requirements are met.

The effectiveness of legislation is kept under regular review.