HC Deb 15 January 2002 vol 378 c198W
Chris Grayling

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions what legal requirements exist to require local authorities to provide fixed crossings on major roads close to schools. [26468]

Ms Keeble

There are no legal requirements compelling local highway authorities to provide pedestrian crossings. Local authorities have powers to provide crossings on their roads under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.