HC Deb 11 December 2002 vol 396 cc381-2W
Dr. Kumar

To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department what grants have been given to the Cleveland Magistrates Court Service in each of the last five years. [86400]

Yvette Cooper

The Lord Chancellor's Department provides separate grants for revenue and capital (buildings and IT) to local authorities for magistrates courts costs. Grant is paid at 80 per cent. of expenditure, with the remaining 20 per cent. met by local authorities.

The total budget for magistrates courts in Cleveland by financial year (in 100 per cent. terms) is:

£ million
Revenue Building IT Total grant
1998–99 3.92 1 0.12 4.04
1999–2000 3.77 0.34 0.16 4.27
2000–01 4.33 0.32 0.06 4.71

Time provided on training for judges in relation to domestic violence
Course-seminar Lecture Group discussion
Criminal Induction Sentencing exercise (15 mins.)
Criminal Continuation Sentencing exercise (15 mins.)
Civil Induction Domestic violence (15 mins.)
Civil Induction Committals (15 mins.)
Civil Continuation Judicial responses to violence in the home (45 mins.) Syndicate exercises (45 mins.)
Induction course for district judges authorised under Section 8 Children Act 1989 Emergency applications (45 mins.) Current issues in contact (30 mins.) Syndicate exercises (45 mins.)
Psychiatric overview of contact (45 mins.)
Making contact work/The National Association of Child Contact Centres (60 mins.)
Seminar for potential care judges Proof of fact in physical/sexual abuse (15 mins.)
Nominated care district judges induction and continuation Making the best of a contact centre (30 mins.)
Induction (private family law) Proof of fact in physical/sexual abuse cases (15 mins.) Applications for contact (4 hours). This comprises a talk by a circuit judge with particular reference to the decision by the Court of Appeal in the case of Re LVMH, the report by Drs. Sturge and Glaser and the guidelines produced by the advisory board on family law. A talk by a child psychiatrist and a plenary discussion exclusion orders and non-molestation orders (40 mins.) Syndicate discussion (1 hour 30 mins.)

£ million
Revenue Building IT Total grant
2001–02 5.26 0.43 0.09 5.78
2002–03 4.86 1.41 0.07 6.34
1 Figures for building capital not available