HC Deb 16 April 2002 vol 383 cc873-4W
Mr. Breed

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, pursuant to the answer of 8 January 2002,Official Report, column 764W, what information she collates on rural pubs: and if she will make it available. [46505]

Alun Michael

The Countryside Agency collates data on rural pubs through its Rural Services Survey. The last survey undertaken in 2000 collected information on pubs, differentiating between those serving meals and those not serving meals, and between those independently owned and those which are part of a national chain. The headline results by parish and settlement size have been published in the Countryside Agency report entitled Rural Services in 2000.

The full report is also available on the agency's website along with parish and settlement files (which can be downloaded) currently containing the following information: For the 12,289 settlements recorded in the survey, data are available on pubs serving meals and pubs not serving meals. For the 6,103 parishes recorded in the survey, data are available on the total number of pubs in the parish.

The data on public houses can be found on-line at http://www.countryside.gov.uk/ruralservices/pubs.htm.