HC Deb 25 October 2001 vol 373 c400W
Mr. Fallon

To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department what special arrangements he has made for the issue of death certificates to relatives of UK citizens killed abroad following the terrorist attacks in the United States. [9274]

Mr. Bradshaw

I have been asked to reply.

The US authorities are allowing expatriate (ie non-resident in the USA) Next-of-Kin (NOK) of British victims to obtain death certificates by completing and signing an affidavit before a US Consular Officer in the United Kingdom. Police Family Liaison Offices in the UK are fully briefed to be able to help relatives with the procedures, and a group of American lawyers in London have offered their services on a pro bono basis if any relative needs help with the US requirements.