HC Deb 15 October 2001 vol 372 cc883-4W
Mr. Hoban

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions what funds are available to enable local authorities to upgrade local roads to deal with the changes in traffic volumes arising from the Government's housing quotas. [6018]

Ms Keeble

The Government do not issue housing quotas. Housing requirements are established by local authorities and Regional Planning Bodies through the Regional Planning Guidance process and finalised by the Secretary of State.

Government planning policy seeks to promote more sustainable transport choices and to reduce the need to travel, especially by car, by accommodating housing principally on previously-developed land within urban areas and at locations highly accessible by walking, cycling and public transport.

Capital funding for local road improvements for authorities in England outside London is available through the local transport plan system. In developing and implementing their local transport plans, authorities need to ensure consistency between their proposed transport strategies and housing proposals contained within the relevant regional and local development plans.

Forward to