HL Deb 08 November 2001 vol 628 c44WA
Lord Ashley of Stoke

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What steps they propose to take under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 when employers and the providers of services fail to make reasonable provision of interpreters for profoundly deaf people. [HL66]

Baroness Hollis of Heigham

The Government established the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) to provide help and advice to disabled people on the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). A profoundly deaf person can seek help from the DRC if they believe that an employer or service provider has failed to make reasonable provision of an interpreter. Conciliation on any dispute with a service provider is available through the commission or through the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) for employment issues. In some cases, the commission may also be able to provide support to a profoundly deaf person who wishes to make a complaint of discrimination to an employment tribunal or court under the DDA.

Forward to