HC Deb 08 November 2001 vol 374 c368W
Dr. Fox

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what tests of linguistic aptitude will be taken by doctors from EU countries applying to work in the NHS. [12708]

Mr. Hutton

[holding answer 6 November 2001]: European Economic Area doctors (and others with enforceable Community rights) do not have to prove to the registration authority that they have a knowledge of English in order to have their qualifications recognised in the United Kingdom.

National health service employers themselves are responsible for ensuring that the doctors they employ have the necessary language, communication and professional skills to carry out their jobs safely.