§ Mr. Rosindell
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions what plans the Government have to encourage and promote road safety for motorcyclists; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Jamieson
In March 2000 the Government published their strategy for improving road safety in the next decade, "Tomorrow's Roads—Safer for Everyone", which is available in the House Library.
On motorcycling, our strategy is:
- to improve training and testing for all learner riders;
- to publish advice for people returning to motorcycling after a break and people riding as part of their work;
- to ensure the quality of instruction;
- to help drivers become more aware of how vulnerable motorcyclists are;
- to promote improvements in engineering and technical standards which could protect motorcyclists better; and
- to work with representatives of interested organisations, in an advisory group, to look at issues of concern.