HC Deb 02 May 2001 vol 367 c667W
Mr. Dawson

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security (1) if he will allow the payment of widows/widowers benefit to be based on the national insurance contributions of deceased unmarried partners;[159950]

(2) what steps he is taking to ensure that unmarried partners are given the same recognition as married couples in all aspects of social security legislation. [159949]

Angela Eagle

[holding answer 1 May 20011A founding principle of the social insurance system is that all rights to benefit derived from another person's

Helpline Description
Benefits Agency Publicity Register For advisers to join the mailing list for information and receive a newsletter
Benefit Enquiry Line Information and advice on disability benefits
Child Benefit Enquiry Line Advice and information on Child Benefit and Guardian's Allowance
Child Support Literature Line
CSA National Enquiry Line General advice on child maintenance and maintenance estimates
Disability Living Allowance Customer Care helpline Advice on existing DLA claims
Inherited SERPS Enquiry line For public to ask questions about the new plans
Medical Benefits Direct Advises on the repayment of medical costs incurred by UK residents on a temporary visit overseas to another European Economic Area country and health cover for people getting UK Retirement Pension, widow's benefits, bereavement benefits or Incapacity Benefit who live permanently in another EEA country
MIG (Minimum Income Guarantee) claimline For people aged 60 or over to apply for the Minimum Income Guarantee (paid as Income Support)
Mortgage Payment Protection leaflet orderline
National Benefit Fraud Hotline For public to report suspected benefit fraud
New Deal for Lone Parents helpline For public and advisers to request literature and ask questions about the programme
Overseas customer service helplines Advice on transfer of pensions overseas, medical cover and making claims overseas
Pensioners' guide orderline
Pensions Direct General advice about state Retirement Pension or widow's benefits paid directly into a bank or building society account
Pensions Info-Line Leaflets orderline, primarily pensions education leaflets
Print Direct Customer Services helpline For advisers to inquire about the progress of bulk literature orders and other miscellaneous queries
Public Enquiry Office
Retirement Pensions Forecasting and Advice Service For public to make inquiries about their pensions forecast
Retirement Pension Tele-claims line To make a claim for state Retirement Payment over the phone or to ask for a state Retirement Pension form to be issued to be completed at home
War Pensions Agency Customer Services Unit For public inquiries and complaints
War Pensions freeline Provides information and advice on all aspects of war pensions
Welfare Reform leaflets orderline Stocks various leaflets
Winter Fuel Payments leaflets orderline (seasonal) Primarily for advisers
Winter Fuel Payments claimline Public can ask questions of Winter Fuel Payments or request a claim form

In addition, there are a number of regionally based helplines administered by the Department or one of its agencies.