§ Mr. Byers
Subject to parliamentary approval of the necessary Supplementary Estimate, the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions' Departmental Expenditure Limits for 2001–02 will change as follows:
- (a) The DETR Main Programmes Departmental Expenditure Limit will be increased by £830,614,000 from £11,554,260,000 to £12,384,874,000. The net increase comprises £386,000 reduction in resources and £831,000,000 increase in capital and is the net effect of calls on the DEL Reserve of £831,000,000 and a transfer of £386,000 to the Cabinet Office Departmental Expenditure Limit. The changes are set out in greater detail as follows.
- (i) The change to Request for Resources 4 is a reduction of £386,000 reflecting a transfer of resources to the Cabinet Office in respect of recruitment of Fast Stream civil servants.
- (ii) As a consequence of the change to Request for Resources 4, the DETR gross administration costs limit will be decreased by £386,000 from £785,025,000 to £784,639,000.
- (iii) Provision within the non-Voted element of the DETR Main Programmes Departmental Expenditure Limit will be increased by £831,000,000 from £3,648,363,000 to £4,479,363,000. This reflects the anticipation of end year flexibility of £80,000,000 and a call on the DEL Reserve of £335,000,000 to enable the payment of grants by the Strategic Rail Authority to Railtrack to be accelerated and to increase SRA provision for other purposes; anticipation of end year flexibility of £100,000,000 and a call on the DEL Reserve of £316,000,000 to ensure continued funding and increased investment in London Underground Ltd.
- (b) The DETR Local Government Departmental Expenditure Limit will be increased by £14,500,000 from £36,960,668,000 to £36,975,168,000 comprising £14,500,000 resources. This increase reflects the anticipation of end year flexibility of £14,500,000. The change is set out in greater detail.
- (i) The changes for Request for Resources 3 are as follows:
The anticipation of end year flexibility of £14,500,000 to provide emergency financial assistance to local authorities of £13,500,000 and Local Government Public Service Agreement Administration Grant of £1,000,000.
The transfer of £25,000,000 from the non-Voted element of the DETR Local Government Departmental Expenditure Limit to provide for Local Government On Line Grant.
- (ii) Provision within the non-Voted element of the DETR Local Government Departmental Expenditure Limit will be reduced by £25,000,000 from £134,649,000 to £109,649,000. This reflects the transfer of £25,000,000 to Request for Resources 3 to provide for Local Government On Line Grant.
Following the Machinery of Government changes announced following the general election on 7 June, the DETR Main DEL will require restructuring to reflect the new departmental boundaries. The restructuring will be 13W effected later in the year when any necessary Transfers of Functions Orders and other administrative actions are in force.
The net increase in the DETR Main Programme and Local Government Departmental Expenditure Limits will be a charge on the DEL Reserve and will not therefore add to the planned total of public expenditure.