§ Ms Quin
The number of agricultural holdings in England registered at 1 January 2001 isMain holdings: 123,911Minor holdings: 31,012
Notes:A holding is classified as minor if all the following criteria are true:
- a. the total area is less than 6 hectares
- b. there is no regular whole-time farmer or worker
- c. the estimated annual labour requirement is less than 100 days (of eight hours productive work by an adult worker under average conditions)
- d. the glasshouse area is less than 100 square metres
- e. the occupier does not farm another building.If any of these conditions is not satisfied, the holding is categorised as "main".