HC Deb 13 February 2001 vol 363 c96W
Mr. Michael J. Foster

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment in which local education authorities teaching staff are eligible for London weighting allowance. [150191]

Ms Estelle Morris

There are separate allowances for inner and outer London and the fringe. For these purposes:

1. "The Inner London Area" means the area comprising the areas of the inner London councils as defined in section 163(2) of the Education Reform Act 1988 and the areas of the London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Brent, Ealing, Haringey, Merton and Newham;

2. "The Outer London Area" means Greater London, excluding the Inner London Area; and

3. "The Fringe Area" means: in Berkshire: the districts of Bracknell Forest, Slough and Windsor and Maidenhead; in Buckinghamshire: the districts of South Buckinghamshire and Chiltern; in Essex: the districts of Basildon, Brentwood, Epping Forest, Harlow and Thurrock; in Hertfordshire: the districts of Broxbourne, Dacorum, East Hertfordshire, Hertsmere, St. Albans, Three Rivers, Watford and Welwyn Hatfield; in Kent: the districts of Dartford and Sevenoaks; in Surrey: the whole county; and in West Sussex: the district of Crawley.