HC Deb 08 February 2001 vol 362 c669W
Mr. Webb

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if the measures on alcohol-related crime contained in the Criminal Justice and Policing Bill will apply to licensed bars in private sports clubs; and if he will make a statement on police powers of enforcement in such cases. [149586]

Mr. Mike O'Brien

Non-profit-making private sports clubs are allowed to supply alcohol, to members and guests, if they have a magistrates court registration certificate. If a club chooses to obtain a full justices' on-licence, so that it can also sell alcohol to the general public, then Clause 19 of the Criminal Justice and Police Bill, which gives the police powers to close down disorderly or excessively noisy licensed premises, will apply, but not otherwise.