HC Deb 09 April 2001 vol 366 c451W
Ms Julie Morgan

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his answer of 12 March 2001,Official Report, column 423W, how many local authorities have access within their local areas to specialist services for children who sexually abuse other children. [157363]

Mr. Hutton

[holding answer 6 April 2001]: The information requested is not held centrally.

Under section 17 of the Children Act 1989 it is the duty of every local authority to safeguard and promote the welfare of children within their area who are in need. Children who sexually abuse other children are likely to have considerable, often complex, needs.

Consequently, children who sexually abuse other children may receive a whole range of services from several different agencies including social services, Youth Offending Teams, health authorities and voluntary organisations.