HC Deb 04 April 2001 vol 366 c223W
Mr. Ian Taylor

To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what steps are being taken to(a) compensate and (b) assist riparian owners for repair and maintenance of river banks and islands for damage caused by flood water. [156437]

Mr. Morley

[holding answer 2 April 2001]: The repair and maintenance of watercourses and surrounding land is the responsibility of the riparian owner, though on some rivers such work is undertaken by the relevant flood defence operating authority, that is the Environment Agency, local authority or internal drainage board.