HL Deb 12 October 2000 vol 617 c43WA
Lord Jopling

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether they will list the sites which were registered as common land under the Commons Registration Act 1965 where disputes over that registration remain to be settled, giving the acreages and reasons for dispute in each case. [HL3949]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (Lord Whitty)

Disputes over registrations made under the Commons Registration Act 1965 are dealt with either by the Commons Commissioners, in respect of registrations made up to 2 January 1970, or by a Commons Registration Authority (usually the county council or unitary authority) in respect of registrations made on or after that date.

No central register of disputes is held, and information held by the registration authorities could only be provided at disproportionate cost. I will, however, write to the noble Lord with information about disputes currently being dealt with by the Commissioners.