HC Deb 20 November 2000 vol 357 cc54-5W
Mr. Burstow

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what the average age at retirement was of(a) all members of the NHS pension scheme in England and Wales, (b) members in normal health and (c) members in ill health between 1 April 1994 and 31 March 1999, or in the last five years for which figures are available, broken down by professional group; and what the total number of retirements over the same period was for each professional group. [138752]

Mr. Denham

The information requested is shown in the table.

Average age at retirement
Employment group All members Normal health Ill health Total retirements
Administrative Officers and those not in groups below 58 60 52 22,917
Mental Health Officers (non-manual), excluding MHOs with special class status not yet doubling membership, Part Time Mental Health Specialists 55 58.5 51 6,736
Manual Workers 58.5 61.5 53 19,677
Mental Health Officers (manual),excluding MHOs with special class status not yet doubling membership 59 61 54.5 62
Hospital Medical Staff (consultants, registrars, junior doctors),Part Time Specialists (non MHO) MHOs and Nurses without special class status 57 61 49 6,014
Medical Practitioners 59.5 62.5 53.5 2,069
Dental Practitioners 57 60.5 51.5 964
Nurses, Physiotherapists, Midwives and Health Visitors with special class status, MHOs with special class status not yet doubling Membership 55.5 59.5 51 32,763
GP Practice staff 61 62 46.5 279
All Groups 57 60 51.5 191,481
1Based upon data available to the Government Actuary, in the form requested, of some 72 per cent. of retirements during the period. The total number of retirements processed by the NHS Pensions Agency between 1994 and 1999 was 127,380. The breakdown of the remaining 28 per cent. is not yet available.