HC Deb 02 November 2000 vol 355 c552W
Mr. Keetch

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what the recommended level is of reserves required to be held by a parish council; and if he will make a statement. [136179]

Ms Armstrong

The Government do not make recommendations on the level of reserves to be held by parish councils.

The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) published non-statutory guidance on standards of financial reporting for parish councils following the laying of the Accounts and Audit Regulations 1996.

The CIPFA guidance does not make recommendations on levels of reserves either, but does set out reporting requirements and guidance relating to reserves for small (budgeted annual income of less than £5,000), medium-sized (£5,000–£500,000) and large (£500,000 plus) parish councils.