HC Deb 02 November 2000 vol 355 cc550-1W
Ms Oona King

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what plans he has to help tenants in social housing whose homes have been designated Band F, G or H and who are thereby ineligible for Council Tax Benefit. [135828]

Ms Armstrong

People on low incomes (whether social tenants or otherwise) who occupy dwellings in Bands F, G and H are eligible to claim Council Tax Benefit. Those who received Council Tax Benefit on or before 31 March 1998 and continue to meet the continuity requirements are entitled to have up to 100 per cent. of their council tax liability met through benefit regardless of the valuation band of their home. New claimants after that date who live in dwellings in Bands F, G and H can receive benefit up to the maximum amount payable for Band E dwellings. We have no plans to alter this arrangement, which was introduced to ensure that taxpayers do not fully subsidise the costs of people living in the highest value properties. This is consistent with our policy of not supporting such properties on Income Support where help for mortgage interest in new cases is also restricted. However, we are aware of the concerns that remain with this measure and are continuing to monitor the effects of the restriction.