HC Deb 25 May 2000 vol 350 cc624-5W
Mr. Heald

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many police officers are funded(a) in full and (b) in part by parish councils. [122278]

Mr. Charles Clarke

[holding answer 15 May 2000]: Parish Councils may provide grants to police authorities under section 92 of the Police Act 1996. They also have powers under Section 31 of the Local Government and Rating Act 1997 to install and maintain equipment for the detection or prevention of crime in their area.

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 requires local authorities and the police to work together at district level to develop and implement strategies for reducing crime and disorder in the area. In doing so, they must work in co-operation with a number of other key agencies including parish councils. These partnerships can assist the police in considering how best to deploy existing resources to target local needs.

No detailed information is available centrally on these forms of support.

Forward to